Scared of Money

This is about getting the most out of life for the least amount of money. And doing it with a bit of style.

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Rock Star Lifestyle on a Dime - Hotels

I'm a big fan of pretending to live like a celebrity (a little too much so). But I have always believed that if you pay full-price thatyou're paying too much. Growing up as a child, we traveled a lot and my Dad would find the most amazing deals. This was before the Internet,which made it even more amazing. : )

When I travel now, I always try to use Priceline for hotels. Using Priceline, can be a little haphazard for purchasing short-trip airfare since you have no control when you are leaving. It rocks for hotels though! I've gotten to stay at the Swissotel in Chicago, Hyatt Regency in Chicago and the Vail Cascade Resort all for under $90 a night. That's practically cheaper than Motel 6. Most people are too scared to not know where they are staying, but you justhave to be careful and do your research. They let you pick the stars of your hotels and let you choose the area. But make sure you really know the area first. My sister got stuck in the suburbs of Chicago because she didn't know what she was doing, and she won't try it again.

Also, MyMoneyBlog had a good post on getting a Starwoods Preferred Guest American Express Card that canhelplyou save on hotels and flights. A little fun trick is that if you useTravelocity enough, they will send you a complimentary StarwoodsPreferred Guest Loyalty Card (late check out, no lines when checking in, etc.)

Any other suggestions? I think I may do a series on these topics. I'm clueless at personal finance but excellent at finding bargains.

1 Comments:

At Sun Mar 19, 08:58:00 AM PST, Blogger techfashionista said...

Hi ScaredofMoney, I'm going to look into this Starwood AmEx you mentioned. I travel a lot for work and rack up points for my personal travel. thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home